How to work with the orders?
What is a Purchase Order?
Creating Purchase Orders is a key stage in the purchasing process of the company. A Purchase order is a document that is sent to a supplier, and it is also a specification describing the goods and services that need to be purchased.
What information a Purchase Order contains?
Although the availability of some information may vary depending on the company, usually an Order must contain the required information:
- a name of the buyer company and information about the legal entity, address
- a supplier's name and information
- a place of goods receipt
- delivery method, details and terms
- a description of the requested goods / services: code, name or description, quantity, unit of measurement, price of the goods (currencyif necessary), sum
- an additional instruction to the request for the supplier
- a person, responsible for placing an order
The more detailed the information in the request is, the more effective the purchase itself can be performed.
How does it work?
Since the creation and operation of orders is the stage after which the purchase itself is carried out, the responsibility for it usually lies on the company's Purchasing department.
The order can be formed due to purchase requests or without them.
In which cases are purchase requests necessary for an order formation?
- a consolidated order for several departments / divisions / units is formed
- For the purchase justification the information on the purchase initiator is required (mainly used for bulk purchases)
- an order for the supplier is formed very rarely and requests are used for information gathering, and after they are combined in one order
- A purchase order allows you to explain clearly your requirements to the supplier and can be used to verify the conformity of the received goods to the ordered ones;
- With the help of purchase orders, you can easily track and manage orders;
- Purchase orders help control effectively a company expenses, create a budget and identify emergency expenses;
- Based on the orders, a company has a complete transparent picture of all types of purchases and can plan future deliveries and payments better.Purchase orders are important for the audit analysis, as they clearly record the confirmation of the company's need and can confirm that the supply was justified.
Purchase Orders Confirmation
In order to monitor carefully the need for goods / services, the selection of a supplier, the compliance with the established budget of the company, you must configure the hierarchy of statements.
If such a process is configured, each purchase order must be confirmed at all levels before it is transferred to a supplier for execution.
How to set it up in Precoro.
First of all, make sure that you have the appropriate functionality and, if necessary, modify your capabilities.
1. Go to the "Settings" menu
2. Go to "Basic"
3. Click the "Purchase Order" tab
4. Mark the main functions you want to use: Create from PR, create a manual order, add comments, add documents and other functions.
5. To save the settings, click "Update"
- "Create from PR" - allows you to create purchase orders from confirmed purchase requests;
- "Report" - users with an appropriate role can filter, view and download a purchase report in the format of upload or a purchase report on due to categories and suppliers;
- "Cancel" - allows an initiator to cancel the order completely, which has not been confirmed and submitted for approval yet;
- "Manual order creation" - allows creating a purchase order from the beginning, without a purchase request;
- "Adding goods to the order after creation" - allows you to add new goods to the order after creation;
- "Request without a catalogue when editing a purchase order" - allows a user to create a request for a position that is not in the catalogue;
- "Download" - each order can be downloaded in xls and pdf-formats;
- "Send to the supplier" - if the supplier's contacts are listed in the "Managing Suppliers" section, the order can be sent directly from Precoro to the supplier mail;
- "Comments" - allows you to leave comments in requests;
- "Add documents" - you can attach documents related to your request
- "Use notes" - allows you to leave notes in the purchase orders and print them as xls / pdf documents;
- "Purchase orders approval" - allows you to configure the approval chain.
How to give users an access to the creation / approval of a "Purchase Order"?
When creating a new user or editing:
- set the "Purchase Order" role so that a user can create orders
- set the role "Confirmation of a purchase order" so that a user can approve them
How to create a purchase order?
Since an order is an official document between a customer company and a supplier, it can be created only for one supplier.
Precoro provides two types of order creation:
- based on purchase requests
- without requests (manual creation of an order)
To create any order, go to the menu and press "Create an order on demand" or "Create a new order".
Then just follow the basic steps:
- fill in all the required fields for creating an order
- add goods from the catalogue or use the free form (if you create an order based on requests - just select the list of requests that you want to add to an order)
- check the availability of all prices and quantity of goods
- click "Confirm an order".
Next, if you have a customized approval chain, an order will be sent for approval to the responsible people.
You can follow the approval progress directly on the page of a warrant, and when the entire approval process is completed - you will receive a notification to the post office that an order is approved.
In order to send a warrant to the supplier - go to the order page and click "Send to the supplier".
As soon as the supplier opens your letter - the order sending status will be changed to "Message received".
You can monitor the sending of orders on the order history page. Here you can see a list of orders that have not been sent to suppliers yet: as soon as an order is delivered, the person responsible for receiving the goods must create a receipt.
If all the ordered goods are delivered - the order delivery status will be changed to "Received".
How to add and edit a purchase approval negotiation chain?
1. Make sure that the function "Approval of purchase orders" is included in the "Basic" section.
2. Go to the "Settings" menu.
3. Open the "PO approval steps" section.
4. Click on "Add an approval step" to create a new step.
5. Set the priority of harmonization - the order of coordination (especially important if several responsible people take part in the approval chain).
6. Set a step name.
7. Click "Create".
8. To disable the step, click "Edit" in the "Action" column and clear the check mark next to "Enabled". Click "Update" to save the settings.
9. In the "PO approval Steps" section, add a responsible user * to the step.
10. The approver can set the approval amount by selecting an approver and changing the settings. For example, by setting the type "More" and the amount "1000", only the requests with a sum equal to more than 1000 will get to the manager's approval.
11. To remove an approver from the step, click "Edit" next to the corresponding email and click the "Delete" button.
* Please note, if in one step two users from the general location are installed, they can both approve orders of this location. For the order passing to the next step, it is enough to approve only one of the installed users.
How to confirm / reject / edit a purchase order?
1. You will learn about new orders on the confirmation from your e-mail or directly in your private office in Precoro (the orange card "Waiting for approval" on the dashbord).
2. To process an order, click on the link in the mail notification or open the infographic card and click "Show" next to the corresponding order.
3. By clicking "Confirm", you will submit a request for the next approval step
4. If you are the last in the confirmation chain, you can send an order to the supplier (the "Send to the supplier" button on the warrant page appears as soon as the order passes all levels of approval).
5. By pressing "Deny", you cancel an order. Please note that requests from thre cancelled orders will still be available
6. If necessary, each position can be edited:
"Change" - you can change the current number of products in the request, add attribute values;
"Delete" - completely remove a product from the request.